Faculty and Staff
Alumni and Friends
Scholarships for Geological Sciences Majors
Eligibility Requirements and Deadlines
Deadlines for receipt of applications:
Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students:
December 1 for priority consideration; applications are accepted until March 1.
Current and Returning Students:
Last day of preregistration during either the Fall or Winter semester.
- To be eligible for a scholarship and subsequent renewal, scholarship recipients must maintain their status as official majors in the MU Department of Geological Sciences.
- Satisfactory progress toward a degree in Geological Sciences must be sustained. In general, this means that students must enroll in a minimum of one course offered within the Department of Geological Sciences each semester.
- To be considered for a scholarship renewal for the sophomore year, freshman applicants must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above during their first semester at MU. Sophomore and junior applicants must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above at the time of their application.
- All aspects of scholastic achievement will be considered in determining the amount of each scholarship, as well as renewals. Awards typically range from $200 to $1500 per academic year. Awards can be changed in value from one year to the next, depending on the ranking of each individual within the total pool of applicants, the number of eligible applicants, and the total dollar amount available for scholarships.
- MU Geological Sciences scholarships can be used in combination with other awards offered by the MU Office of Student Financial Aid and other sources.
- Applications for renewals must be made by the Winter semester application deadline. Winter semester applications will be evaluated for the entire academic year beginning the following Fall. Applications for scholarship renewals must be made for each subsequent academic year by the Winter semester deadline. Decisions regarding renewals will be independent of the original award.
Application forms must be mailed or delivered to
Director of Undergraduate Studies
101 Geology Bldg.
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211-1380