My research interests lie in the area of aquatic biogeochemistry and are directed toward determining the rates of processes involved in carbon cycling. Carbon is the basic building block of life, and I am interested in how organic matter is produced, degraded, transported and utilized. One of my main tools for studying carbon cycling is stable isotopic analysis.
biogeochemistry with an emphasis on carbon cycling in aquatic systems
- Geol 1200: Environmental Geology
- Geol 1250: The World’s Oceans
- Geol 1400: Themes in Geology (Global Climate Change)
- Geol 2220H: Headline Topics in the Geological Sciences
- Geol 2300: Earth Systems and Global Change
- Geol 2450: Global Water Cycle
- Geol 4300/7300: Introduction to Low-Temperature Geochemistry
- Geol 4500/7500: Organic Geochemistry
- Kelley, C. A., J. P. Chanton, and B. M. Bebout. 2015. Rates and pathways of methanogenesis in hypersaline environments as determined by 13C-labeling. Biogeochemistry, 126, 329-341.
- Spurgeon, J. J., C. P. Paukert, B. D. Healy, C. A. Kelley and D. P. Whiting. 2015. Can translocated native fishes retain their trophic niche when confronted with a resident invasive? Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 24, 456-466.
- Kelley, C. A., B. E. Nicholson, C. S. Beaudoin, A. M. Detweiler, and B. M. Bebout. 2014. Trimethylamine and organic matter additions reverse substrate limitation effects on the d13C values of methane produced in hypersaline microbial mats. Appl. Environ. Microbiol 80, 7316-7323.
- Detweiler, A., B. Bebout, A. Frisbee, C. Kelley, J. Chanton and L. Bebout. 2014. Characterization of methane flux from photosynthetic oxidation ponds in a wastewater treatment plant. Water Science and Technology, 70, 980-989.
- Yates, E. L., A. M. Detweiler, L. T. Iraci, B. M. Bebout, C. P. McKay, K. Schiro, E. J. Sheffner, C. A. Kelley, J. M. Tadic, M. Loewenstein. 2013. Assessing the role of alkaline soils on the carbon cycle at a playa site. Environ. Earth Sci., 70, 1047-1056.
- Tazaz, A. M., B. M. Bebout, C. A. Kelley, J. Poole, and J. P. Chanton. 2013. Redefining the isotopic boundaries of biogenic methane: Methane from endoevaporites. ICARUS, 224(2), 268-275.
- Kelley, C. A., J. A. Poole, A. M. Tazaz, J. P. Chanton and B. M. Bebout. 2012. Substrate limitation for methanogenesis in hypersaline environments. Astrobiology, 12, 89-97.
- Potter, E. G., B. M. Bebout, and C. A. Kelley. 2009. Isotopic composition of methane and inferred methanogenic substrates along a salinity gradient in a hypersaline microbial mat system. Astrobiology, 9, 383-390.
- Smith, J. M., S. J. Green, C. A. Kelley, L. Prufert-Bebout, and B. M. Bebout. 2008. Shifts in methanogenic community structure and function associated with long-term manipulation of sulfate and salinity in a hypersaline microbial mat. Environ. Microbiol. 10, 386-394
- Pakulski, J. D., A. Baldwin, A. L. Dean, S. Durkin, D. Karentz, C. A. Kelley, K. Scott, H. J. Spero, S. W. Wilhelm, R. Amin, and W. H. Jeffrey. 2007. Responses of heterotrophic bacteria to solar irradiance in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Aquatic Microb. Ecol., 47, 153-162.
- Kelley, C. A., L. E. Prufert-Bebout, and B. M. Bebout. 2006. Changes in carbon cycling ascertained by stable isotopic analyses in a hypersaline microbial mat. J. Geophys. Res. 111, G04012, doi:10.1029/2006JG000212.
- Formolo, M. J., T. W. Lyons, C. Zhang, C. Kelley, R. Sassen, J. Horita and D. R. Cole. 2004. Quantifying carbon sources in the formation of authigenic carbonates at gas hydrates sites in the Gulf of Mexico. Chem. Geol., 205, 253-264.